The Italians have done so many things right when it comes to food and beverages, and affogato is no exception! With only 2 ingredients (3 in our case), it’s the easiest way to spruce up your morning coffee or turn dessert into a delicious night cap.
What is Affogato?
Affogato is ice cream “drowned” in espresso, coming from the Italian “affogare”, meaning “to drown”. Nice little fun fact, but not what we’re here for.
What I love about affogato is that as the ice cream melts it creates a nice foam on top similar to a latte. And the contrast between the cold ice cream and hot coffee is irresistible! Add in the crunch and chew of a delicious Nine Times cookie, and we’re in heaven.
Can coffee substitute for espresso?
Absolutely! Coffee seems to be a bit more accessible in the average home, and we’re suckers for easy indulgences. Here are your options for coffee or espresso:
- Strong brewed coffee (hot) - we love Colectivo Co-Optiva
- Instant coffee powder in boiling water
- Instant espresso powder in boiling water
- Espresso (you fancy!)
The Best Ice Cream for Affogato:
Our affogato recipe uses vegan vanilla ice cream (So Delicious Very Vanilla to be exact), but you can use whatever flavors you like with coffee.
- So Delicious Dairy-Free Very Vanilla
- Jeni’s Dairy-Free Dark Chocolate Truffle
- Jeni’s Dairy-Free Cold Brew with Coconut Cream
- Van Leeuwen Vegan Salted Caramel
- Ben and Jerry’s Non-Dairy Cherry Garcia
The Best Cookies for Affogato:
Our twist on affogato includes cookies! Nine Times cookies to be exact. We have received so much feedback from our customers about pairing cookies with coffee, so we absolutely had to include our cookies in this recipe. And wouldn’t ya know, all four of our classic cookies go great in affogato.
The Best Flavor Combinations:
- Vanilla ice cream, Double Chocolate Sea Salt, coffee
- Chocolate Ice Cream, Chocolate Chip Cookies, coffee
- Butterscotch Ice Cream, Oatmeal Scotchies, coffee
- Vanilla Ice Cream, White Chocolate Cherry, coffee
- Cherry Ice Cream, Double Chocolate Sea Salt, coffee
How to assemble affogato:
As a cocktail lover, I'm all about the ratios. For affogato it's 1:1:1. 1 oz, 1 scoop, 1 cookie. You can scale it up depending on how much you want. Want to make a massive affogato? Go for it! 3 oz of coffee, 3 scoops of ice cream (drool!), and 3 Nine Times cookies should do the trick. You get the idea. Here are the steps for a 1:1:1:
- Prepare your preferred coffee or espresso.
- Take out a glass or coffee mug.
- Scoop 1 scoop of your ice cream of choice into the coffee mug.
- Break a Nine Times cookie in half and place the pieces on top of or on either side of the ice cream scoop.
- Pour your preferred coffee or espresso over the ice cream and cookie pieces.
Is Affogato Good for Parties?
100%. It’s great for making ahead or making right on the spot. Just have a full pot of coffee made ahead of time and then line up those cups! Each glass gets one scoop of ice cream, one cookie, and then let those babies SWIM in coffee.
Remember to not pour the hot coffee right over the glass, so it doesn’t break. Just pour the coffee over the ice cream and you’ll be good to go.
Also, you can make your affogato a little boozy by adding your favorite liqueur. I recommend amaretto or coffee liqueur.
I hope you enjoy our twist on the affogato! Salute!